A jam (jelly) doughnut is a kind of doughnut filled with jelly filling. We have several varieties of jelly filled doughnut.
Preparation time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
225g of all purpose flour
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 3/4 teaspoon yeast
25g unsalted butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
150 – 200g jam of your choice.
Sugar to sprinkle
Oil for frying
1/4 teaspoon of salt
– In a small bowl combine yeast and warm water ( 25ml) and set aside.
– Pour milk in a medium saucepan and place over a pot of boiling water (the milk should not boil)
– Add in butter and allow to melt completely.
– Remove from heat, add sugar and salt, stir to dissolve.
– Beat egg and stir into the mixture, add cinnamon if using.
– Stir in yeast and water mixture, flour and mix well.
– Turn dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough comes together nicely and it is elastic (does not stick to your hand anymore), try not to add flour when kneading, as you knead it will gradually come together.
– Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and allow to rise in a warm place for about an hour.
– When the dough has risen, bring it out of the bowl and divide dough into 8 or 10 portions and form into a ball.
– Place the balls on a floured tray and cover to rise. It will double in size
– Place oil in a deep pan and fry for 2 minutes on one side or until golden brown before flipping and fry for another 2 minutes.
– Remove, place in a paper towel to drain excess oil. Allow to cool a bit, using a piping tool fill the doughnut with jam and enjoy.