Puff puff is a very popular snack in Nigeria.
Preparation time: 2 hours
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 2 hours 20 minutes
– 1 cup warm water.
– 3 cups flour.
– 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast.
– 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar.
– 1/2 teaspoon salt.
– 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional).
– oil for deep frying.
1. In a medium bowl add warm water, salt, sugar and yeast. Set aside for 5 minutes.
2. Add flour and nutmeg (if using). Mix well until fully incorporated.
3. Set the mixture in a warm place and let it rise or double in size for approximately 1 to 2 hours.
4. In a large saucepan pour vegetable oil until it is at least 7 centimeters high, place on medium heat until oil is hot.
5. The dough is going to be sticky so use your hand to grab a little bit of the mixture at a time and drop in the oil. Do not overcrowd the pan.
6. Fry for few minutes until the bottom side is golden brown, flip over and fry for some minute until golden brown.
7. Remove from heat and place on paper towel to drain excess oil.