Jollof rice is made from rice which is a great source of energy. Jollof rice has the unique ability to lift everybody’s moods and it also makes the atmosphere friendlier. If you are down in the dumps, just eat jollof rice.
Jollof rice contains tomatoes, pepper, onions e.t.c. Tomatoes help’s to prevent cancer, Pepper contains lot of vitamins and Onions help’s to reduce inflammation and heals infection.
Jollof rice is not eaten only in Nigeria. It is eaten in some other African countries which include Ghana, Cameroon, Senegal e.t.c. It is cooked in several ways across all these countries.
How to make Nigerian Jollof rice.
Preparation time; 20 minutes
Cook time; 1 hour
Total time; 1 hour 20 minutes
• 4 cups long grain rice
• 4 fresh tomatoes
• 1 large Onions
• 1 small Onions (chopped)
• 1 bell pepper (Tatashe)
• 6 habanero pepper (Rodo)+
• 1 sachet/ can tomato paste
• 1 teaspoon dry thyme
• 1 teaspoon curry powder
• salt to taste or 2 teaspoon of salt
• 2 seasoning cubes
• 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
• 150ml vegetable oil
• 2-3 bay leaves
• 3-4 cups stock or water
– Blend tomatoes, onions, red bell pepper ( remove seeds from red bell pepper before blending) and habanero pepper to a smooth paste.
– In a medium pot cook the blended ingredients till the water from the tomatoes dries up. Set aside.
– Wash the rice thoroughly and parboil. Wash the parboiled rice to get rid of starch and put in a sieve to drain.
– In a pot, heat oil and butter. Add chopped onion and allow to fry for some minutes. Pour in your tomato paste and allow to fry for about 5 to 10 minutes. Stir continuously to avoid burning.
– Add in the cooked blended ingredients, maggi, curry, thyme. Mix well and fry for about 20 minutes. Add in your stock or water and salt and allow to cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
– Add the drained parboiled rice. The stock or water level should be the same as the level of the rice. This is to ensure that all the water dries up by the time the rice is cooked.
– Cover the pot and allow to cook on low heat for about 30 minutes or until the water dries up. Once cooked, mix well to combine ingredient. Cover and let it stay on heat for 2 minutes.
– Serve with fried plantains, salad or coleslaw and any meat of your choice.