Moi moi have a lot of proteins and energy sustaining power. Moi moi is a light and healthy diet. It attracts a lot of healthy companions like fish, eggs, lobster, prawn, snails e.t.c. Nigerians and Africans eat moi moi with rice ( jollof, fried, white e.t.c.) , akamu, bread, garri, eko e.t.c.. Moi moi is great for weight loss.
Preparation time: 2 hours
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 2 hours 45 minutes
• 3 cups of beans
• 4-5 fresh chilli pepper
• 1 fresh bell pepper (tatashe)
• 1 onions
• 1 small Onions (chopped)
• Fish of your choice or Eggs (boiled)
• 1/2 cup grounded crayfish (optional)
• 2-3 seasoning cubes
• 15-20cl vegetable oil.
• 2 litre of water.
• salt to taste.
• 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of ginger (optional)
• 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of garlic (optional)
• Remove shaft and stone from beans. ( This process is important for those using blender to peel the beans).
• Soak your beans in water for about 10 minutes, rub the bean seeds between your palm to loosen the skin of the beans, change the water from time to time and separate the coat from the beans. Continue this process until all the skin are peeled off. You can also use blender to peel your beans, pour in your beans into the blender half full, fill the remaining half of the blender with water. You then start and stop your blender immediately, do this for about 3-4 times. Pour out and strain off the peels. Repeat the process until all beans are peeled. After you are through with peeling the beans. Soak beans in water for about 1 hour to ease blending.
NOTE: make sure you start and stop your blender immediately.
• Wash your fresh chilli pepper, red bell pepper ( remove seeds from the bell pepper), onions and blend with washed and softened beans till a smooth consistency is achieved.
• Wash, cook and remove bones from the fish if using and set aside
• pour the paste into a bowl , add chopped onions, salt, seasoning cubes, grounded crayfish, garlic, ginger and vegetable oil and stir well. Add little water at a time.
• place pot of water on stove or gas. Pad the bottom of the pot with paper or sticks from the leaves if using. Prepare your tin, plate, nylon or leaves.
• Dish the puree into containers of your choice, add the boiled fish or egg and cover or fold. Place in the pot of boiling water, cover and cook for 40 to 45 minutes.
• serve with rice, bread e.t.c.